Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Baked Zucchini Fries



There is absolutely no bigger bummer than my love of fried food.  If I ate all the fried food that I truly desired, I would probably weigh 200 pounds.  I try my best to avoid it when I can so that when I do indulge, it isn't the end of the world.  Everything in moderation, right?  So zucchini fries seemed like a perfect opportunity to take the higher road.  In other words, I actually listened to the angel on my shoulder that sometimes gets masking tape slapped over her mouth.  Zucchini itself is so low in calories and fat that I needed to keep my desire to fry the hell out of it in check.  If I was frying cheese, that would be one thing...but zucchini???  What's a little bit of frying going to do really?  Add a butt-load of fat and calories.  So I baked these up to use some more of the garden zucchinis and to have a tasty not-so-bad for you side dish with tonight's veggie burgers.  French fries, shmench fries.




Baked Zucchini Fries

2 medium zucchini, cut into wedges
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
pepper to taste
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
cooking spray


Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Put the zucchini wedges in a colander.  Sprinkle with the salt and mix well.  Let sit for an hour and then rinse and dry the zucchini.

Set up a breading station - Put the flour in one bowl, the eggs and pepper to taste in another, and the rest of the ingredient mixed together in a third bowl.

Dip each of the zucchini wedges in flour making sure to shake off any excess before dipping it in the egg, and then shaking off the excess egg before covering it in the breadcrumb cheese mixture.

Lay the breaded wedges on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or greased aluminum foil.  Spray them lightly with cooking spray.  Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.  Remove from the oven and flip the wedges, spray lightly again with cooking spray, and then continue to bake for another 10-12 minutes.

You can serve this with some marinara sauce for dipping or just eat them as is.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment