Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bread and Butter Pickles



It's time to pickle all those cucumbers that came out of our garden last week.  Last year, all of our cucumbers were extremely bitter, really ruining the whole pickle experience.  I looked it up and the bitterness could have been caused by uneven temperatures, uneven watering, or pure genetics.  Well I can't do anything about temperature fluctuations during a New England summer, nor can I genetically engineer my cucumbers (at least not yet.)  So I crossed my fingers when I tasted our current crop, and luckily, by sheer luck, they aren't bitter...phew.  So onto making some pickles...


If you like pickles with a little sweetness, then these are for you.  My personal favorite are the sour kind, but I haven't perfected my sour pickle recipe yet.  Until then, these are sweet, crisp, and delicious.  You'll need to tailor the amount of sugar to your personal preference.  The amount I use does not make the pickles overly sweet - otherwise, Jim wouldn't eat them.  They came out perfect (for me.)  I can't wait to put these on veggie burgers later in the week!  You'll find the recipe after these pictures.  Enjoy!






















Bread and Butter Pickles
Makes enough for a 1-quart mason jar.

1 lb of cucumbers (I used the "pickling" kind), cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp kosher salt
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
1 Tbsp coriander seeds

Combine the cucumbers, onion, and salt in a large bowl.  Mix them together well and then cover with ice. (This is supposed to keep them crisp.)  Let it stand at room temperature for 2 hours.  Put the vinegar, water, sugar, and spices in a pot and bring to a boil.  After the cucumber mixture has sat for two hours, rinse the mixture well.  Then add to your pot.  Almost bring it back to a boil and then set it aside to cool.  You can then put the pickles and the liquid into your jar(s) and into the refrigerator.  You will have pickles in as little as two hours and they will keep in the fridge for up to three weeks.

3 comments:

  1. My wife makes killer pickles. Seriously, I never liked pickles at all before, and I just polished off the end of a quart jar today. My obsession is spicy stuff, so she made me a special batch of habanero pickles. Basically, she just diced up a few habanero peppers really fine and put them in with the pickles. Spicy and delicious. We canned them as well, so they had a couple of weeks in the cupboard to really soak up all the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the part I forgot to add was that your recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim! I swear the onions that get thrown in there are just as delicious as the actual pickles. Also, my husband has a serious obsession with spicy stuff as well so I will absolutely try out the habanero pickles. I might just use whatever kind of hot peppers pop out of our garden first. What a great idea!

      Delete