Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2012

(No mayo) Italian Potato Salad



I hate mayonnaise.  (I also hate sour cream – but more on my strange food aversions another time.)  So this one is for all the people out there who prefer their potato salad sans mayonnaise - you will appreciate this.  For those of you who love mayo, this would be a really nice change.  This potato salad tastes like every fresh ingredient that goes into it.  It's lovely and refreshing.  Don't be shy with the salt and pepper.

This originally comes from Jim’s grandma and I learned how to make it from Jim’s mom.  I think the fact that this simple recipe is generational makes it taste even better.  Maybe Adrienne will make it for her children one day…

Italian Potato Salad
Serves 4

6 medium red potatoes, boiled and diced (I like to leave the skin that stay on)
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
2 tsp finely minced shallot or red onion
3 big basil leaves, chopped or chiffonade
¼ cup olive oil
salt, fresh ground black pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl while the potatoes are still hot.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours so all the flavors infuse the potatoes and it chills.



2 comments:

  1. I just made it, and it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I actually made it tonight for the first time this season and it came out awesome for me too...Best yet I think!

      Delete