Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2012

Shrimp in Coconut Red Curry Sauce



I thought this dish came out restaurant-worthy!  In fact, it came out better than any curry I have had at a Thai restaurant.  I am always disappointed when I leave Thai restaurants, but my version of your average Thai curry did not disappoint.  

You could make this dish with green or yellow curry paste as well - entirely up to you.  You could also use whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand.  I had green peppers that just came out of our garden, so I decided to build this dish around them.  Oh my goodness what a winner.  I wiped up the rest of the sauce with my finger - I was close to licking the bowl, but I didn't want to disturb Jim.

When you do put the sauce together, taste the sauce after using only 1 tablespoon of sugar.  I used 2 to start, and I think I might have been able to halve it.  I will try it next time with half the sugar and add the rest if it needs more.


Shrimp in Coconut Red Curry Sauce

1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbsp peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 inches ginger, peeled and minced
3 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
1 serrano or thai chili pepper, seeds removed and minced
1 Tbsp red curry paste
1 14 oz can of lite coconut milk
2 Tbsp brown sugar (I would first taste after added half)
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1/3 cup of water
2 green peppers, sliced
1 can sliced bamboo shoots
2 Tbsp roasted and unsalted peanuts

Love this stuff...

Heat the peanut oil in a pot over medium heat.  When hot, add the garlic, ginger, the white part of the scallions, and chili pepper.  Sautee for about 3-5 minutes until fragrant.  Add the red curry paste and stir everything together for another 3-5 minutes.  Then add the can of coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce, and water, and stir until everything is combined.  Add the green peppers and let the mixture come to a boil.  Reduce the heat slightly and cook for about 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally until your green peppers have become tender but still firm – not soft.  Keep your eye on it because they can go mushy quickly.  Add your shrimp and bamboo shoots and cook until the shrimp have become pink and they have curled - this doesn't take very long.  Take off of the heat and stir in the green part of the scallions and the peanuts.  Serve with the rice of your choice and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment