Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Zucchini Stuffed Poblano Peppers


And yet another zucchini recipe...

These stuffed peppers are amazing!  They've got the perfect ratio of rice to cheese to tomato to spices to....zucchini!  Any time I look at my zucchini plants, this recipe gets added to the list of "must make these" floating around in my head.  They're so good that it's worth it to turn on the oven in this heat!  Although I do run the air conditioner to help keep the kitchen cool, I tend to stay away from oven cooking in the summer.  This recipe makes me turn on my oven in August.  I've tried making these with bell peppers, but I didn't like them nearly as much.  I was truly disappointed actually.  So you MUST make these with poblanos.  Slice them in half so that you end up with halves that are as wide as possible even if they aren't as deep.  It will be near impossible to stuff super skinny openings and then keep them upright during the cooking process.

Zucchini Stuffed Poblano Peppers

4 poblano peppers, cut in half, stems, ribs and seeds removed
olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini, sliced thin (I use my mandolin)
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 15-oz cans no salt added diced tomatoes
2 cups cooked brown rice (or white rice)
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (or other cheese)



Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray a baking dish and the outside of your halved poblanos lightly with cooking spray.

In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, zucchini, and all of your seasonings, and stir occasionally until onions are cooked.

Add the diced tomatoes and turn up the heat.  Cook until most of the liquid is gone.

Add the rice and combine.  Then add 1 cup of the cheese and combine.

Load each of your poblano halves with the filling.  They will be super high and heaping full.

Then sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake for 5 more.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!





No comments:

Post a Comment