Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Green Smoothie


All aboard the green smoothie train!  Seriously, I never thought I would be making green smoothies.  I have always made smoothies for breakfast on weekday mornings.  They are easy and portable.  You can get them ready as you get yourself ready for work in the morning and then drink them on the ride in.  It's a no-brainer for me.  It's either a smoothie, or Starbucks for breakfast - which I try desperately to avoid at all costs.  It may not be McDonalds, but it's still fast food and packed with sodium, fat, and preservatives.

Another great thing about a smoothie is it gets in many of your servings of fruits (and yes, now vegetables!)  I used to make our morning smoothies with yogurt, milk, variations of berries, mango, and pineapple, banana, and flax seed.  Now I still use the same fruits and flax seed, but have replaced the yogurt and milk with some sweetened coconut milk (it's only 90 calories and 5 grams of the good kind of fat), and have added spinach and apple.

I love this smoothie - so much more than my original.  It's also a great way to get some leafy greens into my two year old.  She won't touch anything leafy, but she will suck down an entire cup of this concoction.  I still haven't won Jim over to the dark leafy green side.  He likes the old smoothies better, but I think deep down inside he knows that this is tasty - and packed with many of the nutrients we need in our daily diets.  Don't be scared to try this like I was for so long.  I wish I had gotten on the green smoothie train sooner.  I thought I would need a better blender to make it, but one day I finally threw the spinach in there, and my cheap-o blender did the job just fine.  It doesn't hurt to try.  I plan to use kale instead of spinach tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes over with Jim.

Green Smoothie
makes 2+ servings

2 cups sweetened coconut milk
2 big handfuls of any leafy greens (I have only used spinach at this point)
2 cups fruit of your choice (I used strawberries and pineapple)
1 banana, peeled
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped
2 Tbsp ground flax seed

Put the greens into your blender first.  Now add all your other ingredients and blend until smooth.




 A days worth of fruit and a serving of leafy greens - not too shabby for minimal work and clean up.
 It tastes better than it looks.  If you use blueberries, it will be an even more appetizing blackish green.
Mommy and daughter green smoothies.

No comments:

Post a Comment