Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2012

White Bean, Potato, and Kale Soup


Another week has passed and it's Soup Sunday again.  Today I decided to mix it up with some kale since I had some on hand anyway.  I've been using kale in the green smoothie lately - it works just as well as spinach and is even more packed with nutrients.  So let's try it in soup too!  I went with white beans instead of lentils and used yukon gold potatoes to add some body.  This is my first time throwing this particular combination of ingredients together and I think it came out great.  I look forward to having it for lunch tomorrow.

White Bean, Potato, and Kale Soup
serves 6

1 medium carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
12 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
3 yukon gold potatoes, washed, skin-on, chopped into about 1-1/2 to 2-inch cubes
1 15-oz can cannelini or white beans
4 cups chopped kale, large stems removed
2 Tbsp olive oil

In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.  Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until softened - about 5 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a medium boil and add the potatoes.  Cook until potatoes are tender - about 30 minutes.  I actually like to overdo the potatoes a little so that some fall apart and make the soup a little thicker.  Add the beans and kale and bring back to a boil.  Cook another 10 minutes until the greens are tender.  Serve with some crusty bread.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love kale with sausage and pasta in soup. This looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this tonight. We all loved it! Thanks for such great recipes!

    ReplyDelete