Search This Blog

Monday, November 12, 2012

Roasted Tomato and Spinach Quiche



My favorite quiche recipe in the entire world is from the Whole Foods Cookbook.  It is a potato, spinach, and pine-nut quiche with sage (Mmmm...sage.  It's a lovely, warm touch.)  The recipe also calls for a store-bought pie crust.  I swear I will make my own one day, but it's just SO much easier to by the ready-made one and it tastes really good.  Besides, I am usually making this for an easy dinner.  Once I start making pie crust, it ceases to be an "easy" dinner.   Anyway...once I started cooking for my husband, I had to get rid of the pine nuts.  He hates them as much as I love them.  He says they taste like dirt.  So sad.  But you know it's true love when you stop cooking with a beloved ingredient.  To make matters worse, when I went to the store this morning, I forgot the uber-necessary potato.  @#$&.  So out of this forgetfulness was born the roasted tomato and spinach quiche.  Fingers crossed...and the result....was delicious, but not as delicious as when it is with the potato.  Make this with a delicious side salad to round out the meal.  Also, this quiche reheats amazingly in the toaster oven.  Enjoy a nice slice of leftover quiche for lunch.

Roasted Tomato and Spinach Quiche
adapted from the Whole Foods Cookbook

1 9-inch frozen ready-made pie crust
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups fresh spinach
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated romano cheese
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 tomato, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices (or use 1 red bliss potato, cooked and sliced instead - it's actually better this way)
additional olive oil, salt, and pepper to roast the tomatoes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Arrange tomato slices on parchment lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with some olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.  Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.  Lower the oven to 350 degrees.  Remove the pie crust from the freezer and let thaw for 10 minutes.  Prick the bottom with a fork and bake in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.  Saute the garlic for a couple of minutes and add the spinach, sage, salt, and pepper.  Cook stirring constantly until the spinach is just wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes.  In a small bowl combine the cheeses.  In another bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.  When the pie comes out of the oven, sprinkle the bottom of the crust with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture.  Top with half the spinach mixture.  Place the tomato slices on top of the spinach.  Add half the remaining cheese and then the rest of the spinach mixture.  Top with the rest of the cheese.  Then place the pie on a baking sheet and pour the egg and milk mixture into the crust.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool slightly before cutting and enjoy!






Hyper Smash

3 comments:

  1. So tasty!! My stomach rumbles just looking at those pictures! By the way, how's everything going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear from you, Yongyi! And nice of you to say. Everything is going well. How is MIT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you too! The first semester of MIT is more than halfway over (wow, time flies!). In that time, I've met many familiar faces (mostly from math competitions) but I've also made lots of new friends. The classes I'm taking are also fun and challenging. (In one physics demo, the professor demonstrated a real superconductor -- he cooled a superconductor with liquid nitrogen and levitated a magnet above it!) I am doing well in all of my classes (but I'm not the top student [for once])!

    ReplyDelete