Search This Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pancakes and How to Make Your Own Buttermilk


It's Sunday morning and I feel like making chocolate chip pancakes.  I wanted to try a different recipe that required buttermilk, but I didn't have buttermilk.  So in addition to what turned out to be a wonderful chocolate chip pancake recipe, I will also include how to make your own buttermilk - which is invaluable.  I have always bought buttermilk (which only comes in one gigantic size bottle) and then only use an eighth of it if even that much.  The rest will sit in my fridge until I need another small amount of buttermilk a month later - by which time the bottle I have will have already gone bad and I will need to dump this big bottle of remaining buttermilk down my drain and buy another big bottle which I will barely use. Well some of you may be thinking that I am an idiot and should have figured out that I could make my own sooner.  You are entitled to judge, but the important part is that I have come around and will never go back to buying buttermilk ever again.

Home-Made Buttermilk

milk (I used 1% for the pancakes)
white vinegar

For every cup of buttermilk you need, place 1 Tbsp of white vinegar in a measuring cup and then fill the rest of the cup with milk.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  You now have buttermilk!

Chocolate Chip Pancakes
adapted from Joy the Baker

2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat white flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 chocolate chips

Combine eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and in a large bowl.  Add the melted butter while whisking vigorously.  (If your wet ingredients are cold as mine usually are the butter will want to solidify up right away...try to prevent big clumps of butter from forming with your whisking.)  In another medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda and powder, salt, sugar.  Then add it to the wet ingredients until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Lightly grease a griddle pan either with butter or canola oil and put on medium heat.  Add a 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and cook until the top bubbles and pops.  Then flip and cook until the other side is golden brown.  Keep cooked pancakes in a 200 degree oven to keep warm until all your pancakes are done.  Enjoy with your favorite syrup.
  www.Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment