Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Coconut Raspberry and Jamaican Rum Truffles


This is my first try at making truffles.  It seemed easy enough - like "I couldn't possibly mess it up" easy enough.  I told a co-worker of mine that I was thinking of making truffles and she very thoughtfully brought me in a Food Network magazine that had a starter recipe.  I just chose my own mix of add-ins/ons and bam - homemade Christmas goodies for the whole family.  Rolling the balls was extremely messy, but totally worth it.  I hope everyone I'm giving them to on Christmas Eve enjoys them as much as I hope they do.

Truffles
this recipe made 24 tablespoon-size balls for me

12 oz. dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp extract of your choosing - I used raspberry)
1 package of shredded sweetened coconut or 1 bottle of chocolate vermicelli sprinkles for rolling
1/4 cup of cream liqueur (I used creamy Jamaican rum)

Make the chocolate ganache:  Put the chopped chocolate in a large bowl.  In a saucepan, bring the cream, butter, and salt to a simmer over medium heat.  Add it to the chocolate and let sit for 10 minutes.  With a rubber spatula, stir the chocolate-cream mixture until it is completely smooth.  Add in the vanilla and raspberry extracts and combine.  At this point, add in the liqueur if you are using it, and combine.  Pour the ganache into a shallow baking dish and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.

Make the balls: Take tablespoons of the chilled ganache and roll them in your hand to form balls.  Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap.  Return to the fridge and chill overnight or for at least an hour.  After the balls are chilled, you can roll them in the shredded coconut.





Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment