Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2012

Garlic and Herb Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Sauce


So I guess the jig is up after this post...all my Jewish relatives will know that I do not in fact keep kosher.  I've never hid it, but I've also never been so brazen about my disregard to the tenants of Judaism either.  I grew up in an Orthodox Jewish (and therefore kosher) household.  The plates and silverware that were used for consuming dairy were always kept separate from those used for consuming meat.  Of course like any modern day Jewish family, we also had a completely separate drawer full of hodgepodge cutlery that would be used when we brought in take out.  On the occasion that a "meat" fork ended up accidentally in the "dairy" drawer upon been sorted out from the dishwasher and it was not discovered until the fork ended up in a nice hunk of cheese lasagna, the fork would be added to the hodgepodge drawer of "non-kosher" silverware.  My grandfather used to tell me that we could make the silverware kosher again if we buried it in the ground for seven years.  I don't think this is true, but it always made me smile to think of a silverware graveyard.

I don't feel any sort of Jewish guilt to have disregarded these kosher laws in my own household.  It seems that keeping kosher is sort of antiquated.  It most likely was created at a time when eating pork was very dangerous due to a lack of refrigeration - and after many deaths, pork was kicked off the menu.  So, tonight I decided to cook a pork tenderloin because it is absolutely safe to do so and will pair wonderfully with the apple sauce I am going to have on top of some latkes.

Garlic and Herb Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Sauce

1 2 lb pork tenderloin
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

For the sauce:
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup apple cider
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 small onion, cut in half, ends cuts off and peeled

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and rub the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary all over your pork.  Now prepare your sauce before you get your pork in the oven.

Melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the flour and whisk until well combined and golden in color.  Continue to whisk as you add the chicken broth.  Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes until thickened.  With a slotted spoon, scoop out the thyme, bay leaf, and onion.  Adjust the thickness to your liking if necessary.

Heat some olive oil in an oven-proof pan on medium-high heat.  Add your pork and sear on all sides before putting in the oven for 20-22 minutes.  When done, tent and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.

Remove the tenderloin from the pan and slice.  You can then add the pan drippings to your apple cider sauce.   Combine and serve everything together.

Note: When I made this, I did not begin with the roux.  I am suggesting that you begin this way because the sauce was too thin without it (as you can see from the picture below.)  I'm pretty sure it's a good idea.  I will certainly be trying it myself next time.  If you try it first, let me know how it turns out.


Hyper Smash

No comments:

Post a Comment