Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Hummus


What better way to try out my new pressure cooker than to make hummus?  I love to make my own hummus, but have always used canned chickpeas.  Well today I finally get up the chutzpah to use dried.  I'm not going to lie.  After seeing numerous pressure cooker explosions on Iron Chef, I've been pretty scared to use a pressure cooker.  It looks pretty dangerous.  It has the word "pressure" in it for heaven's sake.  It couldn't possibly be easy to use.  Well, it was very easy to use.  I will tell you how.

To cook the chickpeas:
Soak 1 lb of chickpeas in a bowl of cold water overnight.  The next day, rinse the beans.  Fill your pressure cooker with 8 cups of water.  Then add your rinsed beans.  Cover, lock, and set to high pressure for 35 minutes.  When it's done, let the pressure naturally release.  Open, drain, and you have very delicious and soft chickpeas.  Now onto making the hummus...

Hummus
makes 2 cups

2 cups cooked chickpeas (or a 15-oz can)
2 Tbsp tahini
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water

Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.  Add more salt to your taste.  Let cool in the fridge.  Serve with pita chips or pita bread.  Enjoy!
www.Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment