Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Green Juice


I woke up this morning with swollen tonsils and a completely stuffed nose.  I therefore decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to try out a green juice.  Two years ago, Jim bought me a juicer.  I've used it twice - both times for cocktail-creating purposes.  I feel like I should use it more.  Well, I've really been wanting to try this out this recipe from the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead about a seriously overweight man who went on a juice cleanse.  It seems like it would be a good way to get a butt-load of nutrients.   By the way...I am planning on eating a juicy (pun intended) steak later - this is just breakfast.  Anyway, I am super sick of my green smoothie by the time the weekend rolls around, so I feel a little lacking in the fruit and vegetable department. Bring on the green juice.  Is this not a magical elixir of health and longevity?  Well if it is, I would rather not live so long.  I really had to force myself to drink the first glass, and every time I took a sip, my face would contort and twist with horror.  (And this is with a completely stuffed nose!!)  Well although it took me 45 minutes, I managed to finish drinking the first glass, and instead of pouring the rest of the green monster down the drain, I actually poured myself another cup - I am not one to waste.  The second is going down a little easier.  I still make a face with every sip, but I am getting used to it.  I am unsure if I will ever go through the trouble to make this again...almost positive I will not actually - but it was an experiment worth trying.  I hope it at least helps make my cold go away.

IF I did make this again, I would halve all the ingredients because my juicer produced a lot of juice.  I only needed half the amount for just me.

Green Juice

2 green apples, cored
6 kale leaves
1 large cucumber
1/2 lemon
1 thumb-size knob of ginger
4 celery stalks

Throw all the ingredients into your juicer and that's it.  Drinker beware.


www.Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment