Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Pot Stove Top Mac n' Cheese


Happy New Year!  Last night, me and the hubs rang in the New Year with friends.  With a two year old to manage the next day, we are very, very, very, very, very tired and I want carbs!  My stomach is going "nom nom nom nom."  I must eat, but I don't feel like I have the strength to do, well, anything.  So what's the easiest thing to whip up?  A box of mac n' cheese, right?  So of course, this is what I go to do - but there is none left.  (Thanks for using the last box and not telling me, Jim.)  Leading me to try out making my own.  It's no harder than making the boxed stuff and it doesn't use powdered cheese.  I believe I will stop buying the boxed stuff now.  Doing it this way also allows you to use whatever cheese you want and I am a sucker for gruyere - can't get that in the box.

One Pot Stove Top Mac n' Cheese
serves 3 to 4

2 cups uncooked small-sized pasta of your choice (I used whole grain elbows)
2 cups low fat milk (more if necessary*)
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp salt (you can always add more later to your liking - we don't like a lot of salt in this house)
pinch of nutmeg
1 cup cheese of your choice (I used reduced fat cheddar and then also sprinkled in a handful of grated romano)

In a medium saucepan, combine pasta, milk, butter, salt, mustard, and nutmeg.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring frequently so that the pasta does not clump together.  Keep your eye on it at all times or else when the milk reaches a boil it will quickly overflow onto your once milk-free stove.  As soon as it reaches a simmer, turn the heat down to low.  Continue to stir frequently so that the pasta cooks evenly.  Cook until the liquid is absorbed.  Then check to see if your pasta is fully cooked.  *If not, add another 1/4 cup of milk and continue to cook until the milk is absorbed.  Repeat until the pasta is cooked.  I didn't need to add any additional milk.  My pasta came out perfect after simmering and stirring as is for about 8 minutes.  Now you can add your cheese.  Stir until everything is incorporated.




HyperSmash

2 comments:

  1. hi ms faulkner!! it's pei :D i just made this bc i've been stuck at home by myself since school ended and i ran out of the boxed kind, too! it turned out really well, i'm eating it right now.

    hope you are having a good end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me :)

      I hope you are enjoying your time off before the start of college!! You looked beautiful at graduation and I don't think I got to say congrats! Enjoy more of my recipes and keep in touch. Come visit and let me know how freshman year goes. xo

      Delete