Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Upside-Down Fudge-Almond Tart


Nothing makes Mondays better than chocolate.  We can argue that point, but chocolate inarguably makes Mondays better.  Unless you're allergic to chocolate.  Or if you need to fast for some medical or religious reason.  Anyway...my mil (mother-in-law) got me two fantastic presents this Christmas that conspired against me and forced me into making a chocolate tart.  What presents could be so fantastic as to coerce you into baking delicious treats you ask?  Well...first off, she gave me a one-a-day calendar from Cooking Light with daily recipes.  This is so up my alley that it must have actually already had a tag that said "to: Amanda" before she even purchased it for me.  Secondly, she got me an awesome set of tart pans (my very first I must add - yay.)  Well when Monday's recipe was for a chocolate almond tart, I had absolutely no choice but to make said tart.  It looked so delicious and I really wanted to try out one of my new tart pans.  It was fate.  Well I'm glad I did, because it was as yummy as it looked in the picture.  If you love almonds and chocolate, you need to make this.  It was easy and tasty.  The recipe called for chopped almonds, but I didn't want to dirty my cutting board so I just used slivered.  Using chopped would definitely make the tart easier to cut so I might (but not definitely) next time.  It also called for golden cane syrup which I also did not have.  So I used a combination of light corn syrup and molasses.  It worked.  All in all, a success, and I would definitely make this again.  Also, it tasted even more amazing from the fridge a couple of days later!  Something magical happened and it became even fudgier and more delicious!  I don't lie.

Upside-Down Fudge-Almond Tart
from Cooking Light

1 cup coursely chopped almonds, toasted
4 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
3 Tbsp sifted cocoa powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 large eggs
6 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp light corn syrup
2 tsp molasses
3/4 tsp vanilla

Put yourr oven rack to the lowest third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9-inch tart pan with cooking spray.  Sprinkle almonds in pan.  Combine the chocolate chips and butter in the top of a double boiler.  Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until chocolate and butter melt.  In the meantime, combine the flour, cocoa, and salt in a bowl.  In another large bowl, place the eggs and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed with an electric mixer.  Continue beating while adding the sugar one Tbsp at a time until the sugar dissolves - about another 2 minutes.  Add syrup, molasses, and vanilla and beat until well blended - about another minutes.  Add flour mixture and beat on low speed for about a minute until blended.  Then add the chocolate mixture and blend until just combined (I switched to a spatula for this part.)  Pour the batter into the tart pan, spreading evenly.  Bake in the lower third of the oven for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.  Cool tart in the pan for 20 minutes on a wire rack.  Then invert the tart onto a serving platter.   

Because this is from Cooking Light and they provide me with the nutritional info, I'll let you in on it as well.  So for those who care...
Serving size: 1/10 of the tart.
Calories: 281
Fat: 19.8 g
Carb: 24.6 g
Fiber: 2.7 g
Sodium: 80 mg
Weight Watchers Points: 8

It's amazing to me that this recipe is from Cooking Light and yet it still has almost 20 g of fat and 300 calories from a tiny slice.  That makes me really wonder how much fat and calories your ordinary chocolate tart is loaded with.  So I still consider this to be a little bit of an indulgence, albeit a more responsible one.
HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment