Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Slow Cooker Kimchi Pork


Another slow cooker pork recipe?  Yes!  I am always on the look-out for good slow cooker recipes.  I am extremely busy during the week.  So if I can come home to a done and waiting for me delicious dinner meal without it coming in a pizza box, then sign me up.  We had a carton of kimchi in our fridge, so I was inspired to look for some recipes that would incorporate said kimchi.  For those of you who don't know what kimchi is...it's a Korean condiment made of vegetables pickeled with spices, peppers, scallions, etc.  You can get kimchi made with pretty much any vegetable, but the classic kimchi (and the one we had on hand) is made with napa cabbage.  Ever since Jim took me to my first Korean restaurant eight years ago, I have been in love with all kinds of kimchi.  They usual provide little tasting dishes of all varieties as an appetizer to your meal - like bread at an Italian restaurant.  These kimchis range from eggplant to cucumber to radish and beyond.  I don't even like radish and yet I like radish kimchi.  I would make kimchi myself if I had to, but we are blessed with an Asian superstore not too far from our house, where we can get all kinds of kimchi and a good lunch too.

Kimchi Pork
adapted from Savor the Rainbow

2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp chopped scallions
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
approx. 3 lbs pork roast, trimmed of all visible fat
2 cups of kimchi

In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients.  Place the pork in your slow cooker.  Pour the liquid over the pork.  Add the kimchi.  Cover and cook on low more 9 hours.  The pork was so tender that it pulled apart for me with just a pair of tongs.  Serve with rice or go fusion-style and make some tacos, quesadillas or paninis.  Enjoy!




HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment