Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Colcannon


I don't understand the obsession with boiled dinner on St. Patty's Day.  I love cabbage, but the smell of boiled cabbage makes me gag.  I am more of bangers and mashed kinda gal.  So I was perusing the food blogs as usual looking for some fun St Patty's Day recipes and I came across a recipe for colcannon.  I honestly had never heard of colcannon.  It's apparently just mashed potatoes with bacon, cabbage and scallions.  Like I said before - I love cabbage, so since I was planning on making mashed potatoes anyway...why not make colcannon instead?  Well let me tell you how amazing this was.  I had three helpings and didn't even care about the bangers anymore.  If you like cabbage and mashed potatoes, then you'll love this.  I have never cooked with bacon - rendering bacon fat and cooking with the grease - but I can see why people do...holy crap, is it good.  Bacon, butter, cabbage, potatoes, yum.  Five years ago, I would be in Davis Square celebrating this day with friends at the Burren.  Alas, at least now I have some delicious bangers and colcannon and even some shamrock-shaped sugar cookies as consolation.  Happy St. Patty's Day!  I hope everyone had a fun day celebrating!

Colcannon
adapted from Closet Cooking

2 lb russet potatoes, peeled and diced into medium chunks
4 oz. bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 of a small head of savoy cabbage, sliced thin
4 scallions, sliced
2 Tbsp butter, divided

Put potatoes in a medium pot of water and bring to a boil.  Boil for 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.  In a large pan over medium heat, saute the bacon for about 5 minutes until rendered.  Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook for about 1 minute until it foams.  Then add the cabbage and saute, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.  Add the scallions and cook for another 5 minutes.  When the potatoes are done, drain and return to the pot.  Then mash and add the cabbage mixture and the remaining butter.  Combine well and serve hot!


Dessert...
www.Hypersmash.com

1 comment:

  1. I cooked this once, and my kids said it tasted like a "cold cannon". Never again...  

    ReplyDelete