Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Popovers




So I was having the most amazing dinner with a friend last night at Vine Brook Tavern in Lexington.  It began with a ginger margarita and ended with steak frites - so it really was my definition of perfect.  I will get both of those items every time I am there - that is how good it all was.  So we're eating this delicious food and we're talking about more food (as is my habit) and she tells me about a great popover recipe that she uses all the time.  Well when I think of popovers, I think of this trip to Bar Harbor, Maine that I took with my husband and daughter last summer.  We took a long horse-drawn carriage ride into Acadia National Forest - which ended with famous popovers and jam at a beautiful restaurant overlooking Jordan Pond.  If you are ever travelling to Maine, this activity is a must - especially after a long day of hiking or biking or kayaking or any of the other exhausting but extremely fun things to do there.  The carriage ride is a nice relaxing way to enjoy the beautiful, scenic park.  It's a gorgeous park to spend some time - beautiful biking and hiking trails, lakes and mountains.  You can go to the top of Cadillac Mountain and see the sunset.  It's a great place to visit - I highly recommend it.  Anyway...so the point being...the thought of good popovers brought me back to a really happy memory.  So I obviously made them the very next day - not only because I was now longing for popovers, but mostly because it was an extremely simple recipe and I had all the ingredients.  They did, in fact, come out fantastic.  I will make these all the time.  They are very airy and crispy and would go nicely as a side to any nice, family meal.  Also, they look beautiful and even impressive.  I would make these for company in a heart beat.  I hope you enjoy them at much my family and I did.  In  the future, I am going to play around with adding some fresh herbs to the batter.  I think it will be amazing, but I'll let you know.

Popovers
makes 6

1 cups milk (I used 1%)
1 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp kosher salt
butter for greasing the muffin tins

Grease muffin tin and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Pour the milk in a blender and add the eggs.  Blend until combined.  Then add the flour and salt.  Blend again until well-combined.  You may need to scrape down the sides to make sure all the flour gets incorporated into the batter.  Once the batter is ready, pour into your greased muffin tins.  Mine came to be filled about 3/4 of the way to the top, but just try to distribute your batter evenly.  Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.  Serve warm with butter, honey, or jam.




www.Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment