Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Dirty" Broccoli



I love broccoli so very much that I'm surprised that this is the first time it's making an appearance on the blog.  In fact, I cook it at least once a week.  Well, today I finally had time to take a couple of pictures while I prepared one of my favorite ways to have broccoli on the side.  I owned Ellie Krieger's cookbook for over five years before I finally decided to try this recipe out.  I just never felt like it was necessary to add breadcrumbs to my broccoli.  Garlic...yes.  Olive oil...yes.  Breadcrumbs just seems like unnecessary calories.  However, I am very glad I finally tried the whole breadcrumb thing, because it is DE-licious!  I decided to use seasoned breadcrumbs instead of plain and it makes the dish so much more flavorful.

Regardless of how I choose to use my broccoli in a dish, I always first steam my broccoli in the microwave in a covered microwave-safe dish.  It comes out perfectly cooked - with some bite to it - and then you can season it however you chose or add it to a stir fry or pasta dish.  So see the directions below if you just want an easy way to make perfect broccoli any and every time you need it.  You can also roast the broccoli - which is amazing all on it's own.  Roast for 20-30 minutes at 425 degrees, stirring once halfway through.  Just sprinkle with olive, salt, and pepper first.

"Dirty" Broccoli
adapted from Healthy Appetite by Ellie Krieger

1 bunch broccoli (abot 1-1/4 lb), cut into florets
1 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp kosher salt

Microwave the broccoli with the water covered for 4 minutes.  While the broccoli cooks, heat the oil on medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Then add the breadcrumbs and cook for another 2 minutes until they are toasted.  Then remove from the heat.  When the broccoli is finished, remove with a slotted spoon so as to not get any of the water as well and add to the bread crumbs.  Toss well and serve hot.



HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment