Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hummingbird Cupcakes



Just in case you haven't noticed...I have the tendency to impulse cook.  If I stumble upon a recipe that looks delicious and I also happen to have all the ingredients on hand, I assume it's obvious fate and next thing you know, we have cupcakes!  This is what happened this morning.  I didn't want to throw out the bananas I had over-ripening and I already have a full bag of frozen banana slices in the freezer (what a great way to save the bananas before they over-ripen - just slice 'em up, freeze 'em, and then throw 'em in a smoothie when you don't have any fresh ones.)

I'm not the biggest fan of banana bread - in fact, I barely tolerate it - but if you throw in crushed pineapple, nuts, coconut, and then smother it in creame cheese frosting, how can it not taste good?!  That's what hummingbird cupcakes are.  A lovely name, no?  I don't know what hummingbirds have to do with banana, pineapple, coconut, pecans or cream cheese - but who doesn't love this combination - and who doesn't love hummingbirds?  Life's short.  Eat cupcakes.

Hummingbird Cupcakes
adapted from Annie's Eats

makes 24 cupcakes


2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
11 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1¼ tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 bananas)
2/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
2/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
(plus an extra 1/3 cup toasted in the oven at 325˚ F for 4 minutes for a pretty and tasty topping)

For the frosting:
(I strongly recommend doubling the following for the 24 cupcakes...better to have extra than not enough!)
8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners sugar

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350˚ F and line cupcake pans with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter, vanilla, and sugar and beat until blended and smooth.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Mix in the mashed banana.  At this point, switch to a spatula to mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  Gently fold in the pineapple, nuts (if using), and coconut until evenly mixed.

Divide the batter between the prepared liners, filling each about ¾ full.  Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.  Mix in the vanilla extract.  Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.  Frost the cupcakes after they are completely cooled.









Hypersmash.com

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum, your cupcakes look so delicious! I really love the look of your cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It did come out really great this time. I think it tastes as good as it looks. Your no-bake berry cheesecake looks amazing. I will definitely be trying it out this summer!

      Delete
  2. I can tell you first hand that Amanda's cupcakes are absolutely delicious! She is a wonderful neighbor, dropping off her fabulous home-made baked items. Her chocolate chip/chunk cookies were the best I've ever tasted in my life...and I've tried a lot of cookies over the years!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I'm glad you like those cookies as much as I do - it hurts a little to give them away they're SO good - but that's how much we appreciate having you guys as neighbors!!!

      Delete