Search This Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting


It's Adrienne's 3rd birthday!!  I can't believe how time flies.  So what better way to celebrate than with cupcakes.  Adrienne loves cupcakes...and I love cupcakes...and Jim loves cupcakes.  Who doesn't love cupcakes?  And who doesn't love cream cheese frosting?  As Jim says, cream cheese frosting makes everything taste better.  Even things that wouldn't normally taste good will taste good if topped with cream cheese frosting.  So I decided on chocolate cupcakes with strawberry cream cheese frosting.

I used a box of chocolate cake mix for the cupcakes because I got burned a couple of weeks ago with a chocolate cake recipe that I made.  It was terrible.  That's the bad thing about food blogs...just because the pictures look amazing doesn't mean the food actually tastes amazing.  So I ended up making 24 dry and tasteless chocolate cupcakes for a retirement party.  I was mortified...and mad! (::mad face::)  I am still looking for a "go-to" chocolate cake recipe, but until I find one, I won't be testing any recipes out when it's for a party.  So thank you Pillsbury - for being so easy AND delicious!

As for the frosting...I know how to make a good cream cheese frosting.  So I just played around with the amount of strawberry puree until I got it right.  Well, I definitely got it right - this frosting was SO good!!  I will definitely make these again...and again...and again...

Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
makes 24 cupcakes

1 box of your favorite chocolate cake mix
2 8-oz bars of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 stick of unsalted butter
6 Tbsp of pureed defrosted unsweetened frozen strawberries
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups of confectioners sugar
slices of strawberries for garnish

Bake your cupcakes per the instructions on the box.  To prepare the frosting, put the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl and beat together with a mixer.  Add the vanilla and 6 tablespoons of the strawberry puree and combine.  Then add the sugar a cup at a time until completely blended.  Put the frosting in the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes.  After your cupcakes have cooled, pipe the frosting onto the cupcake.  You can garnish with a strawberry slice.


The cupcakes were delicious, but you should also see these Sesame Street themed fruit and veggie trays my mom made for the company who came to celebrate Ade's birthday with us.

 From right to left:
Grover or Cookie Monster (I'm not sure which): Blueberries with a blackberry mouth and cups of vanilla yogurt for the eyes with blueberry pupils
Oscar: Broccoli florets with a black olive mouth and cups of veggie dip for eyes with black olive pupils
Elmo: Strawberry slices with a blackberry mouth and cups of leftover strawberry cream cheese frosting for the eyes with blueberry pupils

These were a very cute centerpiece!

www.Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment