Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mango Pineapple Salsa


I've been wanting to try making something like this for a very long time but I'm always being a baby about selecting and then dicing mangoes.  That damn pit.  It's huge and it annoys me.  When I was growing up, my mom would always do the hard work and give me slices of mango to eat.  I have vivid memories of her handing me slices of mango as we watched television together at night.  I was obviously spoiled, because despite how much I love mango, I never want to do all the work to eat it (you'd think it was like moving mountains.)  Well, I finally put on a pair of big girl pants and did it.  The mangoes were slim pickins' - either too soft or too hard, but I managed to get a couple that were workable (a little bit overripe, but they worked) and dicing them was not hard at all.  It takes a little bit more effort than your average fruit, but totally worth it.  I'd say dealing with a mango is a little like dealing with an avocado only where the pit of an avocado is all "here I am" the mango's pit is trickier because it plays hide and seek.

Well the effort was worth is because holy crap is this delicious!  I can't wait to make this again.  It's sweet and tart and has a bit of a kick - which is completely necessary to balance out the sweetness of the fruit.  It is really nicely balanced just as is - I absolutely wouldn't change a thing - and this is a super healthy recipe.  I would eat this all the time.  I made it to dip some chips in (which actually kind of takes away the super healthiness of it but whatever), but I bet this would taste great on shrimp and fish dishes - cakes, tacos, fajitas...yum, yum, and more yum.

Mango Pineapple Salsa

2 mangoes, peeled and diced small
1 cup of pineapple, diced small
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/2 red onion, minced
3 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
3 Tbsp lime juice
salt to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and serve!  Easy, huh?




Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment