Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Warm Shrimp with Wilted Escarole Salad


I love food (as if you didn't already know this,) and tonight's recipe is a perfect example of why I love food so very much.  It uses a bunch of ingredients that I love but don't use nearly enough (escarole and capers), as well as an ingredient that took me out of my comfort zone and proved there is actually a reason why people use it after all...anchovies.  I will admit I am incredibly intimidated by anchovies.  They have bones, right???  Then there was the Great White Clam Sauce Debacle of 2006.  Anchovies did not prove to be my friend that night.  So since then, I have not tried to tackle them again...until tonight.  I no longer fear the anchovy.  It completely dissolved into the butter and oil.  You wouldn't even know it was there if not for the depth of flavor they left in their wake.  I am pretty sure that this dish will appear in our house regularly.  It was incredibly well balanced.  The anchovies and capers make a saltiness that tempers the bitterness of the escarole perfectly.  When Jim walked through the door tonight, he asked what I was making (as he usually does.)  Upon hearing my response, he made a terrible face (as he sometimes does.)  Upon tasting the dish, he apologized for the terrible face.  He loved the dish, my mother who is visiting us (and is very picky) loved the dish, and Adrienne gobbled up all the shrimp she could eat (which is the best I can ask for at this "I will not - I repeat - will NOT eat anything green" stage.)   Success!


Warm Shrimp with Wilted Escarole Salad
adapted from Bon Appetit, February 2013

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 anchovy fillets, packed in oil and drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp capers, drained and chopped
1 lb large shrimp, deveined and peeled
1 head escarole, torn into large pieces
1 tsp lemon juice
parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top

Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Once the butter is melted and hot, add the anchovy fillets and press down with the back of your spoon until they have completely dissolved.  Then add capers and garlic and saute for about a minute.  Then add the shrimp and cook until they are pink and curled - about 4 minutes.  Then add half the escarole and toss until wilted.  Add the second half and do the same.  Add the lemon juice and toss to combine.  Serve with parmesan cheese and enjoy!


Hyper Smash

No comments:

Post a Comment