Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Balsamic Vinaigrette


Jim actually got the store-bought blue cheese vinaigrette from the fridge as I was whipping this up in the blender and I berated at him.  How can you be thinking of using that when I'm actually making salad dressing?!?!?!  I was in disbelief.  As he tried to justify his stupidity, I made him taste my dressing.  He said he wanted to make another salad so he could have both dressings.  So then I grabbed the store-bought bottle out of his hands and read the ingredient list out loud - water, sugar, sodium benzoate, xantham gum, etc.  Enough said.  So he made the correct choice and "mmm mmm'd" like three times.  (That's how I really know he likes something.)

How can something so simple change your life?!  Well this salad dressing is the perfect example of how that's possible.  I may never buy a bottle of salad dressing ever again and I will forever look forward to eating even the simplest salad now that I have this dressing in my fridge.

Balsamic Vinaigrette
from Barbells and Bellinis
makes about 1 cup

1/2 cup of good balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp Dijon or whole grain mustard
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise (I used vegannaise)**
1 tablespoon of honey
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.  Store in fridge for up to one week.



**I hate mayo so much I don't understand how people eat it.  So for the other mayonnaise haters out there, you can omit the mayonnaise; however, according to the blog I got this recipe from, it aids in the emulsifying process (which is what makes this dressing a little bit creamy) and prevents the dressing from separating when you store it in fridge.  I used vegannaise because I hate the idea of mayonnaise so much that I can't even bring myself to purchase it.  You can use whatever you like because it does not affect the taste of the dressing at all.  (When my husband asked about the ingredients, I wouldn't even tell him it's in here because you can't taste it anyway and he hates mayo as much as me and wouldn't want to eat it if he knew.) HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment