Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

Cheddar Jalapeño Chicken Burgers


I (at least I used to) really dislike chicken burgers.  My friend Michelle inspired me to try them out again.  She gave me a recipe that incorporated onions and curry powder into the chicken.  I immediately knew I was going to try grilling chicken burgers, though as you can tell by the title, I added some cheese and jalapeños to the mix, a little garlic, and swapped out some of the curry powder for smoked paprika (because I love smoked paprika.)  The result was so, so good.  My husband said he would rather eat these over a regular hamburger any day.  I was really just crossing my fingers and holding my breath with this meal, but it ended up turning out so good that I can't wait to make it again.

Since this post, I have made these burgers more times than I can count and they continue to be a go-to recipe for us.  It's easy to put together, healthy, and Adrienne actually eats it enthusiastically which makes the meal even more enjoyable for me.  (I separate a serving of the raw chicken mixture before I add the jalapenos, curry, and cilantro.)  I updated the picture (finally) this last time.  I think it does the burger more justice.

Try these out with lots of fixins.  Tonight we made an avocado spread that I must share with everyone some time soon.  Or top it with the most amazing pickles in the universe, hot sauce, greens, etc...

Cheddar Jalapeño Chicken Burgers
makes 6 patties

1-1/2 lbs ground chicken
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp hot curry powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced parsley or cilantro (optional)
juice of half a lime

In a small pan over medium-low heat, saute the onion with a little bit of olive oil for about 5 minutes until softened.  Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.  Set aside to cool.  Place the chicken in a large bowl with all the other ingredients.  Add the onions and garlic and mix everything together just until all the ingredients are distributed well (I use my hands.)  Form 6 patties.  Heat your grill to medium heat.  Cook the burgers about 5 minutes on each side.  Serve on a bun with the condiments of your choosing.  

Hyper Smash

No comments:

Post a Comment