Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Apple Crisp Tartlets





First apple picking excursion of the season and we got quite a haul.  (Despite the fact that the cutie below ate an apple for every one she picked!)  I always bake when we get home.  So what to bake?  So many options...decisions, decisions.  Well, I wanted something handheld and I wanted something with oats.  So I decided on a combination of apple pie and apple crisp all in one lovely two-bite package.

I threw everything together in under an hour while Adrienne played with dough scraps and cookie cutters.  That hour was more fun for than I will have eating these for sure, and that's saying a helluva lot because these came out awesome.  I know I said I wanted something handheld, but now I just can't resist throwing some vanilla bean ice cream on top.  It'll be so flippin' good, who cares that I'll need a plate.  What an absolutely lovely day.



Apple Crisp Tartlets
makes 24 mini tartlets

1 recipe pie dough, rolled out

For the filling:
3 cups of finely chopped apples (moreso than shown in the pics - I didn't chop small enough....next time I will.)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/3 cup chopped pecans or nut of choice (optional)

For the crisp topping:
1/4 cup spelt four (you can use any whole grain flour)
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/8 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.  Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut 24 circles out of your pie dough and push them into your muffin cups so that they cover the sides completely and have a slight 1/4-inch overhang.  In a large mixing bowl, mix the apples with the lemon juice.  In another large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Then mix in the apples and pecans, if using.  Put about a tablespoon of the mixture in each muffin cup.  Combine the ingredients for the topping in another medium bowl and distribute evenly over the top of each muffin cup.  Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.  Cool for at least 20 minutes.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

These can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.  When you want to have one, just pop them in the microwave for 12 seconds and they'll taste even better than the first day.


www.Hypersmash.com

2 comments:

  1. Maddie sent me to your site. Nice pictures and delicious looking recipes. What camera are you using for your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I'm happy to hear you like them. I use a Canon Rebel T3 DSLR. It's incredibly easy to use, so it takes a nice picture will little effort (at least when you have natural light.) Without natural light is another story. Then you end up needing some additional equipment and it's still tricky to make it work. I try though.

    ReplyDelete