Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Coconut Oil Popcorn


So...I've been a bad food blogger lately.  I've just been so busy busy busy.  Adrienne has turned three and stopped napping.  This pretty much means I don't have the two hours in the afternoon that I used to use to prepare delicious handysnacks and homemades.  Although I'm sad I haven't done as much experimenting as usual and have been relying on good old standbys instead, I am also very happy I have gotten to spend so much wonderful time with my wonderful daughter.  So I bring you something I haven't put on the blog yet - something quite possibly everyone will love, and is most definitely healthy and easy.

This is actually the easiest snack you will ever make.  It literally took 3 minutes, 2 ingredients (+ optional seasonings), and 0 prep.  It also uses super healthy coconut oil.  Some amazing benefits of virgin coconut oil that I've read about - it lowers bad cholesterol, raises good cholesterol, increases your body's efficiency at burning fat and fighting off infection and viruses, decreases abdominal fat and can even help thyroid function. Although I would also say that too much of it could be a bad thing.

You can make this with any oil, but try this for all the added health benefits and the extra bit of flavor boost - it has just the subtlest hint of coconut.  You could add additional seasonings (which I highly recommend) to give it additional flavor, but it tastes good plain too.  You can forget about butter on your popcorn.  You won't miss it in the least.


Coconut Oil Popcorn

2 Tbsp coconut oil
6 Tbsp popcorn kernels
1/4 tsp sea salt (optional) or more to taste
1/8 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)

Put the coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Once it is melted, put a couple of kernels in and cover.  Once you hear a kernel pop, uncover and add the remaining kernels.  Cover immediately and cook for 1 minute, shaking the pot the entire time.  (Turn up the heat if necessary to get the kernels popping.)  Then remove from the heat and leave covered to be sure the popcorn is done popping.  Uncover, sprinkle with any seasonings you want to use and stir.  Pour into a nice big bowl and enjoy!


Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment