Search This Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Oatmeal Pancakes with Roasted Cinnamon Apples


I wish I was one of those people who looked forward to eating salad for lunch or oatmeal for breakfast - but I'm just not.  I would take a sandwich or a pizza over a salad any day.  I really need to force myself to make healthier choices most of the time.  Unless the salad has fried goat cheese nuggets all over it, then I'm most likely not going to jump at the salad.  I feel the same way about breakfast.  I am always inclined to have bacon and eggs over fruit and oatmeal.  I just can't help myself and occasionally that's okay.  Not all the time though.  So maybe if I turn oatmeal into pancakes...and then top it with roasted cinnamon apples...yes...oh yes indeed.  I was very nervous about how this was going to go.  Especially once I began to put the batter into the pan.  The batter was very loose, but it ended up coming together and the result was a delicious pancake that tasted like a warm bowl of oatmeal.  The addition of the apples made for an absolutely amazing combination.  It rendered maple syrup completely unnecessary, although just the littlest bit added another layer of flavor that made it even better - but it certainly did not need any.  I wanted more.  I wasn't sure how it would go down, but now I wish I had doubled the recipe.  Definitely next time...

Sadly due to the rainy whether today, I was unable to take a nice picture with great ease, so you missed out on all the beautiful prep shots that could have been.  At least I got the finished product.

Oatmeal Pancakes
from Cooking Light
made about 8 pancakes

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup nonfat buttermilk (I used whole milk with 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 egg
roasted apples (recipe below) for topping

In a bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.  Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined.  On a griddle over medium heat, pour 2 Tbsp of batter for each pancake.  Flip when the tops are covered in small bubbles and cook on the other side for a minute or two until golden brown.

Roasted Cinnamon Apples
adapted slightly from Joy the Baker
(After you finish topping your pancakes, you will most likely have leftovers for your ice cream later in the day...unless you double the pancake recipe)

4 Fuji or Gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
1 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cornstarch
a pinch of salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place your apple slices on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and salt, and mix together with your fingers.  Then scatter the cubes of butter on top.  Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are at your desired doneness.  Serve atop your pancakes or a bowl of ice cream.  These can be stored in the fridge for three days and you can warm them over low heat on the stove top.


www.Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment