Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Double Chocolate Strawberry Muffins




Last weekend, I ran out of white sugar and substituted some brown sugar into my spelt muffins...BAD idea.  It turned what was a moist and tasty muffin into a chewy and dry waste of time.  Boo.  So surprisingly, I still felt the desire to experiment this weekend with what I had on hand...and created my very first original muffin recipe!  I've always been scared to experiment with baking, but I figured that if I used a lot of chocolate, then it would be forgiving.  So who knows if this was a fluke, but at least I wasn't throwing anything in the garbage, and I would absolutely make them again.  Unfortunately, Adrienne, the three year old pain in the bum who the muffins were intended to please, is only eating the tops off of them - the top part has less strawberries in it.  Three year olds are so picky!  She loves strawberries and chocolate, but once you put them together, she won't eat it.  So it looks like she's not having chocolate muffins for breakfast this week.  At least that means more for me and Jim.  That's one thing I miss about pre-motherhood life...I usually can't eat anything delicious without Adrienne taking it from me.  It's a rare occasion to eat in peace, or even to just get to finish what I'm eating.  If I'm being honest though...Adrienne must get it from Jim.  Ever since I started dating the man, he's been stealing food from my plate.  Meh.  Good thing those two are so damn cute.

Double Choclate Strawberry Muffins
makes 12

3/4 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's dark)
1/2 cup sugar (I've started using raw sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 cup chopped strawberries
2/3 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine flours, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In another large bowl, combine the eggs vanilla, oil, and milk and add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  Mix in the chocolate chips and strawberries.  Distribute evenly into lined muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes.  You'll want a glass of milk or cup of coffee with this deliciousness.


Hypersmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment