Search This Blog

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Egg and Potato Breakfast Scramble




My husband is shoveling out my truck because, although a snow storm was hitting during the night, I forgot to not park it in the street before we called it a day.  So while he burns three thousand calories outside so that I have a car for work tomorrow, I am inside making him breakfast.  One of his quirks is that he absolutely cannot eat eggs without potatoes.  So I finally found an extremely easy recipe for two that cooks up pretty damn perfectly.  I am sure you could play around with it and add whatever type of herbs you might like - fresh or dry, throw in any type of onion (I used shallots one day when I didn't have scallions on hand and it was equally delicious), use a different cheese, add peppers (I will absolutely do that in the future one day), or crumble in some bacon (yes please!)  But what I've done here is the most straightforward, the least time consuming, works really well, and is completely satisfying for a quick and easy breakfast that tastes like you worked long and hard.

Breakfast and Potato Scramble
adapted slightly from Cookie and Kate

2 red potatoes (about 8 ounces), diced small
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1 or 2 scallions, sliced thin
1/4 tsp dried dill
4 eggs, beaten, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used reduced fat cheddar)

In a bowl, combine the potatoes and oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Pour them into a nonstick or cast iron skillet and add the water.  Turn the heat to medium-high, cover, and bring to a boil.  Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until the water has evaporated.  Uncover and loosen the potatoes from the bottom of the pan.  Continue to cook for about 5 more minutes until lightly browned, tossing occasionally.  Add in the dill and scallion.  Cook for another minute or so.  Test your potatoes with a fork to make sure they're cooked.  You can continue to let them brown if they need an extra minute or two.  When they are cooked through, add in the eggs, stirring until the eggs are set.  Then stir the cheese into the mixture.  Serve immediately.


Hyper Smash

No comments:

Post a Comment