Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Homemade Whole Grain Tortillas

 Okay, so I haven't been able to stomach those supermarket tortillas in a very long time.  I've tried every brand imaginable, of all varieties - white, wheat, corn...They all smell funny to me.  Am I crazy???  Probably not...it's probably from the chemicals and preservatives that go into them - how else could they have a shelf life of two months or more???  Well I haven't been able to get past it lately.  My repulsion has kind of escalated slowly, and although I can sorta stomach one particular brand of corn tortilla, it's merely a tolerance rather than actual enjoyment...and so with my disdain for the store-bought tortilla reaching an all time high, I finally made my own from scratch.  Now I really never want to eat a packaged tortilla ever again.

It was super easy...easier than any bread recipe I've every made.  It took 5 minutes to prepare the dough - no waiting, no resting - and 10 minutes to roll out and cook them.  The only annoyance was that I needed to lug out my big bad-ass of a baking board for such a short amount of time.  (First world problems, right?  Exactly my point.)  As you can see from my picture, I could not get them to be very circular...each tortilla took on a different shape...some were uglier than others, but even the ugly ones tasted delicious!  They may not have been much to look at (perhaps I will get better at it with practice), but regardless, it was 15 very well spent minutes invested in making a delicious and nutritious dinner.  I opted out of using lard (found in many tortilla recipes) and replaced half of the white flour with spelt flour (my favorite whole grain flour).  The result was a perfect tortilla.  I warmed up the leftover tortillas in a skillet the next day and they were just as delicious as the first day.  I will be attempting to freeze them in the future and will update with my results.  For now, these smell and taste uber-delicious and are worth every second of extra effort.

Whole Grain Tortillas
makes 8 medium sized tortillas
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil


Combine the flours, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Add the water and oil and mix with a fork until the dough can be formed into a cohesive mass.  Dump this out onto a floured work surface and knead a few times until it all comes together.  Divide into 8 equal balls.  One at a time, press each ball of dough down flat and roll out evenly just to the edges, turning it over a few times as you go.

Heat an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat.  Once the pan is hot, cook each tortilla for 45 on one side (it will be speckled with brown spots when it's ready to be flipped.)  Flip the tortilla and cook it for another 45 seconds (it will have larger brown splotches on this side when it's done.)

Remove each tortilla to a warm plate and keep covered with a dish towel so that they stay warm as you finish cooking.

The most amazing meal ever = these tortillas + this shredded beef + these pickled red onions and peppers. HyperSmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment