Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

Sausage and Mixed Greens Soup with Cornbread Dumplings


Full disclosure right from the start...a loved this soup, but did not love these dumplings.  I really, really, really, wanted to love the dumplings, but I didn't.  I'm not sure what would have helped to be honest.  Maybe some additional herbs or seasoning?  Some chopped up jalepenos or bits of corn?  I'm not sure if it would do any good because I'm thinking I would just prefer a delicious piece of sweet cornbread on the side to balance the spiciness from the sausage.  I'd be willing to try them again, but with additions.  If I do, I will most certainly update.  If I don't, it doesn't mean I did not make this soup again.  I am sure it will appear on my table in the future.  The soup was amazingly good.  If you love the flavor of andouille sausage, then you must make this.  

I found this recipe on Bon Appetit and I knew my husband would go head over heels...which he did (he even liked the dumplings despite the fact that I wasn't sold.)  This soup reminds me of New Orleans. In fact, the next time I make it, I may very well throw in some red beans and make some rice on the side...that would be very good indeed.

In an effort to make it a tad healthier, I found some andouille sausage sans nitrates.  I know there are some good chicken versions out there if you want to make it even healthier, but they can be hard to find..

Sausage and Mixed Green Soup with Cornbread Dumplings
adapted from Bon Appetit
serves 6

For the dumplings:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup whole milk
1-1/2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped scallions

Mix together the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.  Stir in the milk, butter and scallions.  Let sit for at least 1 hour.  Can be made a day in advance. (Just cover and refrigerate.)

For the soup:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 bay leaves
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped 
12 oz. andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 14.5-oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
11-12 oz. leafy greens (I used an 11 oz. package of mixed spinach, swiss chard, collards, kale ,and mustard greens)

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over meadium heat and saute the onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves until the onion is translucent - about 5 to 10 minutes.  Add the sausage and cook until the fat renders - about 5 more minutes.  Add in the broth and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil.  I skim the foam that comes to the top as it cooks.  Add the greens and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Then add your dumpling mixture by the tablespoon to the top.  (You should get about 18 dumplings.)  Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer covered for 25 minutes until the dumplings are cooked through.




Hyper Smash

No comments:

Post a Comment