Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Skillet Honey Cornbread


So remember how the other day I made that sausage soup with the cornmeal dumplings?  The cornmeal dumplings just weren't doing it for me.  So since (1) we got yet another snow day today and (2) I plan on having some of that soup for lunch and (3) I happen to have all of the ingredients for cornbread on hand, I made this loaf of loveliness.  Do I have a problem or what?  It's a pretty good problem to have, I guess.  At least for all those around me.

This cornbread came out so good, I just can't stop eating it.  It's perfectly moist, which you don't often get with some cornbread.  I think the amount of sweetness is just right too, but if you like your cornbread on the sweeter side, then up the sugar from 1/2 to 2/3 a cup.  Also, feel free to add some frozen corn to the batter before baking.  Some people like that and some (like Jim) hate it.

Skillet Honey Cornbread

8 Tbsp butter, 7 of them melted, the other set aside
3 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (click here so you never need to buy and waste buttermilk ever again)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt

If using a cast iron skillet (I used a 10-inch), place it in the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, honey, and sugar.  Then incorporate the eggs.  Add the baking soda and buttermilk and mix it all together.  In another large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, and salt.  Add the wet ingredients to this dry mixture and mix just until all the flour disappears.

Once your oven is preheated, remove the cast iron skillet and turn the oven down to 375.  Then melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the hot skillet.  Swirl the pan around so it covers the bottom of your pan and then add your cornbread mixture.  Place in the oven for 25 minutes.  When it's done cooking, remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.


HyperSmash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment