Search This Blog

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Potato Bacon Pizza

Like the Instagram pic?  I was doing all pictures on my phone because the cooking went down at my friend Colleen's house.  We planned an "Iron Chef" party, although you should know how loosely we're using this name.  The only thing that made our dinner party Iron Chef-like is the fact that we"randomly"  picked a central ingredient.  I also used the word "randomly" very loosely.  Although Maggie claims she picked a handful of episodes randomly, when faced with the choices of bananas, hot dogs, or bacon, I am willing to bet she made the right call when bacon ended up the winner.  There could be no better star of the evening...bacon makes everything better.

So as soon as I found out we were using bacon, I decided to make this pizza.  Jim and I frequent a restaurant that makes a pizza like this that is to-die-for-good.  The issue was going to be that I was going to Colleen's house directly after work to cook.  Now I could have just bought pizza dough, but if you've ever made your own, you know how much better homemade dough is.  It's Iron Chef night...I have no choice but to make the dough.  I used Deb's recipe for a "lazy" pizza dough since she provides three different variations on the recipe depending on how long you have between mixing the dough and using the dough.  (Bless her soul.)  So I set out to make a dough that would be ready to use after about 24 hours or so, but when I woke up in the morning, after the dough had been resting for half that time, it didn't look like it had done anything.  I think my house was too cold.  When I got to school, I threw it in the greenhouse near my classroom and by the end of the school day, it seemed to have kicked into gear.  Hallelujah.  I went to Colleen's with my dough and picked up a store-bought back-up on the way just in case.  However, when we cooked off a test piece, it was simply perfect.  Hooray.

So the pizza was an extreme success...I absolutely can't wait to make it again.  I made 6 individual pizzas and my husband was extremely lucky he got some leftovers.

Potato Bacon Pizza
makes 2 pizzas

1 lazy dough recipe
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 lb yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
20 slices bacon, cut in half
1 bunch scallions, sliced


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and place the bacon in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet.  Bake for 25 minutes, rotating once halfway through.  When done, remove to a paper towel lined plate to absorb some extra grease.  Once it is cool enough to handle, crumble and set aside.

While the bacon is cooking, place your potato slices in a steamer basket over boiling water and cover.  Cook for 8 minutes, uncover, and stir.  Cover it again and let cook for another 6 minutes.  Check the potatoes with a fork to see if they are done.  If they aren't, recover and cook for an additional minute or two.  If they are done, uncover and remove from the heat so they can cool.

Place a pizza stone (if using) in the oven and raise the temperature to 500 degrees.  Roll out your dough.  I place my dough on parchment paper so I can easily move it on and off of the stone.  Then sprinkle most of the cheese over the dough, reserving a little to sprinkle over the potatoes.  Then spread out the potatoes, the rest of the cheese, the crumbled bacon, and the scallions.  Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes.  The pizza crust should be golden and the cheese should be bubbly.  Serve with some sour cream and chopped chives if you'd like.


http://www.hypersmash.com/dreamhost/

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to make this. So glad the dough worked out!

    ReplyDelete