Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Chorizo and Potato Tacos



Tonight's supper was a surprise keeper.  I am always amazed when I work completely off recipe and my instincts prove to amazingly be correct.  I have always been a self-doubter, but tonight I figured you can't go wrong with potatoes and chorizo...how could it turn out bad???  It wasn't just not bad - it was soooooo good.  My quickie guacamole didn't hurt the cause either, but I don't have a recipe for that one.  I just eyeball and taste until I get it right.  Let's see...in case it will help you...2 avocados, a big pinch of salt, about a tablespoon of minced onion, not even a teaspoon of minced garlic, juice of about half a lime, some chopped cilantro, and done.  I have overdone it with both the garlic and the onion on separate occasions and it actually dissuaded me from attempting guac for a very long time...it was awful.  That's what you get when you follow bad recipes.  So fearful of making noxious guacs, instead I would just slice avocados and leave all the other flavors to the main dish.  I finally got back on the horse.

So have I told you how much I love cooking in my new kitchen?  Well not only to I love cooking in my new kitchen, but I also love taking pictures in my new kitchen!  At my old house, I would need to put the plates on the floor most of the time to be able to get (a) enough good lighting and (b) a background without children's toys.  My husband has actually taken pictures of me taking pictures for the blog (how meta...and super embarassing) because of how ridiculous me crouching over plates of food on the floor in front of our glass door looked...not cool, Jim...so not cool.

So to summarize...I love tacos and taking pictures of tacos.

Chorizo and Potato Tacos

1 lb chorizo, casings removed and diced small
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 yellow onion, diced small
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
big pinch of salt
1 lb yukon gold potatoes, cooked. skins removed, and diced small (it is easiest to do this on a plate in the microwave)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 package of your favorite tortillas

Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.  Add the chorizo and cook until the fat renders and it turns brown and a little crispy, about 10 to 15 minutes.  Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Turn the heat down to medium and add the canola oil to the pan.  Then add the onion and saute until translucent.  Add the garlic and saute a minute more.  Add the chili powder, cumin, and salt and stir until combined and fragrant, 30 seconds or so.  Then add the potatoes to the pan and stir until they are heated through..  Return the chorizo to the pan along with the chopped cilantro and combine.  Serve with cheese and guacamole on a tortilla. visit page

No comments:

Post a Comment