Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Crispy Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies



My friend Bonnie fed me these cookies a week ago and I knew immediately I would be making them.  She got them from the Oh She Glows cookbook (but I'm adding the link to Angela Liddon's web site with the same recipe - aside from using peanut butter instead of almond butter.)  These cookies are really delicious, but also really easy to put together, so it feels like I will whip them up often on a whim in the future.  Also, let it be noted (despite the fact that I don't really care all that much about omitting certain food groups, these cookies are vegan and - as long as you use gluten-free oats - they can also gluten-free.  As far as "crispy" cookies go, these were super crispy...so much so that I cooked them for less time than the recipe called for.  However, Bonnie's cookies came out soft and fluffy when she made these (I cannot for the life of me understand how and, since she is currently on a family vacay, we have yet to compare every single part of our cooking procedure down to the finest of details.  I will update with answers if we discover how this happened.)  I am usually not a fan of such a crispy cookie, but these did come out incredibly tasty...addictively so.  In fact, these cookies were so tasty - along with being convenient and easy to make - that I just ordered the Oh She Glows cookbook.  It is very rare that I order cookbooks anymore...only if they speak to me from a health standpoint and have more than a handful of recipes that seem quick and easy to make.  The internet full of food blogs is truly my oyster, but hopefully this cookbook will prove to be a fun and useful reference.

Crispy Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe from Oh She Glows
makes 2 dozen cookies

1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water (this is called a flax egg)
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt  (recipe called for fine sea salt...I used kosher)
1 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour
1 cup slivered almonds, ground into a meal
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine the almond butter and coconut oil using a hand mixer.  Add both sugars and beat for a minute.  Then add the flax egg and vanilla and beat until combined.  One by one, beat in the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Then add the oats and almond meal and combine.  Lastly, mix in the chocolate chips.

Put 1-inch balls of the dough on the baking sheet about 2 or 3 inches apart.  Bake in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.  (The recipe gave a longer cook time, but I let them go for the suggested minimum of 12 minutes and the bottoms burned...boo.)  Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack for another 10 minutes.  Try not to eat them all at once.  (I have had 3 today.)



visit page

No comments:

Post a Comment