Search This Blog

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Classic Apple Crisp




It's the first weekend after the first week of school.  I survived.  The students survived.  We all survived.  Only 40 or so more weeks to go until summer.  Not that I'm counting or anything.  Luckily the start of school also means the start of some pretty amazing fall activities...most of which revolve around food...and also the cooler weather.  How I wish fall weather was all year long.

So for our first fall activity, of course we went off apple picking - its one of the best things about fall.  (It also usually leads to a pretty amazing and lengthy baking spree.)  The apple cider doughnuts at Parlee Farms are crazy good, and their apple crisp is even better.  However, I told Jim that instead of us buying the apple crisp there, I would just make some of my own with some of our apple loot.  I began to regret that halfway into apple peeling.  Some delicious Parlee Farm apple crisp would have been way easier.  So now I know.  Yet this did come out delicious (and pretty.)  It was worth the work.  The filling may have been a little bit too lemony for me...I would take down the lemon juice to 1 tablespoon.  The crumb topping was perfection.  If anything, I don't think I'm used to anything this sweet anymore, but I can still recognize a delicious - even if a bit indulgent - dessert.

Apple Crisp
recipe from Ina Garten

For the filling:
5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples (I used a mix of Gala and Macs)
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

For the topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Peel, core, and slice the apples.  In a large bowl (I had to use two bowls), mix the apple slices with the rest of the filling ingredients.  Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish.  In the bowl of a standing mixer, mix all of the topping ingredients until crumbly and the butter pieces are pea-size.  Pour the crumb topping over the apples.  Place your baking dish on a aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 1 hour, until the apple filling is bubbly and the crumb topping is golden.  I highly recommend serving this with vanilla ice cream.




http://www.hypersmash.com/hostgator/

No comments:

Post a Comment