Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Carnival Cookies



So it's the Snowpocalypse and I couldn't be happier.  School's cancelled and we still have power.  That means a nice relaxing breakfast and coffee on the couch, followed by some quality baking.  So, I decided to try out a recipe from one of my cookbooks that seemed like it could be delicious while being healthy at the same time.  Carnival cookies is usually a name given to cookies that contain a mish mash of everything you have on hand.  Well, these are that, except there are no added sugars asided from bananas and chocolate chips and just a quarter cup of coconut oil.  The rest of the mish mash consists of oats, almond meal, peanuts, and popcorn.

I was very wary, but too curious to not try it out.  I like all of the ingredients, I was only nervous because I had tried out a recipe for cookies made solely of bananas and oats the other day.  I won't name the popular blog that I got the recipe from, but if you see a healthy cookie recipe consisting of only bananas and instant oats, rethink making them.  They were gross...let me rephrase...they were extremely gross.  Everything about them.  The consistency was rubbery and they only tasted like banana oatmeal.  They tasted bad right after they came out of the oven and they became worse as they cooled.  You could hardly call it a cookie.  I was so mad I wasted the bananas.  However, these cookies seemed like they had potential due to all the awesome extras, and although the awful taste still lingered from those other disgusting excuses for a cookie, I dove in anyway, and the result is fantastic.  They have the perfect amount of sweetness from the bananas and chocolate, the sea salt compliments that sweetness just right, and the peanuts and popcorn make for an awesome texture.  These cookies are strange but delicious...strangely delicious.  I can't stop eating them, so that's a good sign.  They aren't the prettiest cookie, but they were definitely more than worth the minimal effort, and if you're looking for a healthier cookie, this is a great option.

Carnival Cookies
recipe from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Everyday

3 bananas, mashed very well
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1-1/2 rolled oats
1/2 cup almond meal or flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate of choice
2/3 cup shelled unsalted peanuts
1-1/2 cups air-popped popcorn

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix the banana, vanilla, and coconut oil.  In another bowl, combine the oats, almond meal, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Add this to the wet ingredients and combine.  Add the chocolate and peanuts and combine, and then gently incorporate the popcorn.  Form heaping tablespoons of the mixture into balls (I used my hands to get these together since the mixture is very loose) and place on a lined baking sheet about an inch apart from eachother.  Bake for 15-18 minutes.  If using two trays at a time, rotate them halfway through the cooking time.



visit page

No comments:

Post a Comment