Search This Blog

Monday, February 2, 2015

Chia Power Doughnuts



It's amazing all the time a girl has to blog when she gets a few snow days.  I am on fire this week...although I am not in love with this particular recipe.  The interesting nature of the recipe and the pretty pictures that resulted, however, make it worth the blog entry.  If you try it, don't say I didn't warn you.  These taste exactly like what they are...baked donuts made mostly of chia seed.

I had been dying to try them out.  After all, I would love to find a doughnut that's healthy!  Is there anyone who wouldn't?  I should have known it was too good to be true.  So I went out and bought a special doughnut pan way back in the summer as soon as I got Angela Liddon's cookbook, but I hadn't gotten a chance to try it out until this week - three feet of snow later.  I would not make these again.  I love when food is super healthy and tastes delicious, but I really need it to be delicious - which is an entirely subjective term of course, so please make your own judgment call.  The cinnamon flavor in these was absolutely wonderful.  I thought that was the redeeming quality that made me eat another before I came to a final decision on these guys...which ultimately is that I won't be making them again.

Chia Power Donuts
recipe from Angela Liddon's Oh She Glows
says it makes 6 donuts, but I only got 5

3/4 cup oat flour (you can totally make your own if you have rolled oats...just blend them up!)
1/2 cup chia seeds
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup 1% milk (the original recipe calls for almond milk)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 300 degrees and lightly grease a doughnut pan (or you could use a muffin tin.)  In a large bowl, mix together the oat flour, chia seeds, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Then add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well.  Fill your doughnut pan holes to the brim and place in the preheated oven from 22 to 27 minutes (I did 25 in my oven.)



zW45v5t32w5c

No comments:

Post a Comment