Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2015

"Fried" Green Tomato Caprese



I got the most adorable little green tomatoes in the CSA this week.  So no better time than now to try out fried green tomatoes.  I have never had them.  Love the movie, though.  Of course, as much as I love fried food, I am not one to fry things unless I am sure that the baked versions will not suffice.  Examples of this are potato latkes - really fritters of any kind - they don't call 'em "fritters" for nothin'.  So I looked for a recipe for a baked version of fried green tomatoes, and I was lucky enough to find a great recipe that used them as the star of a caprese salad...brilliant.  This came out fantastic.  I would not change a single thing.

I believe that the greatness of this simple of a recipe is certainly due to the sum of its parts...incredible produce from Berube Farm in Dracut, Mass, as well as amazing fresh mozzarella from Tuscan Market in Salem, NH.  You can't have an amazing caprese salad without amazing ingredients.  Next time you have some of these amazing things on hand, I highly recommend you make this.  Alongside a glass of wine, it was pure summer loveliness.



"Fried" Green Tomato Caprese
recipe from Diane, A Broad

4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp medium grain cornmeal
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
cooking spray
2-oz ball of fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
8 basil leaves
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp of honey

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Mix the breadcrumbs, cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a bowl.  Dip each of the tomato slices into the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture.  Make sure each slice gets completely covered, pressing the breadcrumbs down so they stick, and then place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Spray them with some cooking oil and then bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown.

While the tomatoes are cooking, place your balsamic vinegar and honey in a small saucepan and cook simmering over medium heat for about 8 minutes until it has thickened.  Do not let it overcook or you will have balsamic hard candy instead of a nice reduction.

Assemble the caprese however your foodie heart desires.  I took pictures as shown above and then realized I had miscalculated the number of tomato slices I had (I may be a math teacher, but I was working hungry, so cut me some slack.)  I then ended up serving it as one tomato slice with one slice of mozzarella and one leaf of basil.  With a little bit of balsamic drizzle below (of course you could also drizzle some on top as well!), it was perfection.



Feed Shark

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete