Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2015

Sauteed French Breakfast Radishes




First off, a big thank you to Dan Berube for the amazing CSA bag.  It was only the 1st week and I am so excited for the rest of the season and, more importantly, I'm excited to use all the beautiful fresh grown produce he just provided me.  

What you see above are the gorgeous French Breakfast Radishes that he grew.  Who knew there was such a thing as French Breakfast Radishes???  Just this new knowledge alone fills me with joy.  Despite the fact that I have always disliked radishes, I am still excited to try them.  One of the reasons I wanted to do a CSA is because it would inspire me as a cook as well as push me to try both new things and things I don't think I like.  After all, I used to not like asparagus (gasp!!)  How could I not like asparagus, you ask??? Well, growing up, I only knew of them as disgusting, smelly, inedible green (or sometimes white) shoots that came from a can.  It wasn't until I tried fresh asparagus well into my twenties that I understood what I had been cheated out of all those years.  I had a similar aversion to eggplant...no longer so after eating some amazingly prepared eggplant.  So now we have radishes.  I have only tried those obligatory sliced radishes you're always given on top of a salad.  Probably not the best way to experience any veggie.  So instead, I did them up this way, and although I don't think I'm ever going to crave a radish, they were delicious nonetheless, and I would certainly cook up and eat any that are given to me.  I also no longer feel the need to avoid a restaurant dish touting them as I would have prior to this day.  Thanks for expanding my horizons, Dan Berube.  He was also very thoughtful in providing some links to recipes, one of which served as inspiration for this dish - since I had never even thought about cooking a radish prior to today...this bunch I sauteed with some butter and olive oil and the garlic chives (also provided in the CSA bag.)  Next time, I'll try roasting to see the difference.  Look for the recipe.

So, to recap...this post is specifically to share the love of trying new things, whether it be cooking up radishes or taking part in a CSA, or singing in a band.  Be brave.  You'll never know without trying.

Sauteed French Breakfast Radishes

1 bunch of radishes, trimmed on both ends, sliced in half, their greens reserved (waste not, want not)
1 Tbsp of butter or olive oil or any combination of the two (I used a combination)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
a sprinkle of lemon zest and some freshly chopped herbs of choice (I used garlic chives)

Heat the butter and/or olive oil in a pan over medium heat until nice and hot.  Add the radishes and saute until translucent (this took me about 10 minutes.) Add the radish greens and stir until wilted.  Then add the lemon juice, zest and herbs and stir to combine.  Serve immediately.
Pingomatic

No comments:

Post a Comment