Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2015

Strawberry Kale Salad

 Another kale salad recipe???  @#$& yes!  Berube Farm is churning out tasty kale on a weekly basis, so I apparently will be making many a kale salad this summer and I am loving it.  Super delicious.  Super healthy.  I never knew I could love kale so very much.  This recently discovered recipe included radishes, and if only I had found this during week 1 of the CSA when I was given two tasty bunches! (Damn it.)  Alas, I did not have any more radishes on hand, so they were unfortunately and very disappointingly excluded.  I will definitely be ready and waiting next year for radish/kale bag.  Regardless, it was still amaaaaaaazing.  It has a lemony dressing, which alone seemed too sour - so much so that I upped the honey just a smidge - but with the sweet strawberries, toasty granola, and tangy goat cheese, it ended up being perfect.  I didn't think I was going to find another kale salad I liked as much as the last one, but this one was so good too.  In fact, I think I may like this one a little bit more.  Okay, maybe they're tied.  They are so different.  Maybe you should make both and tell me which you like best.

Strawberry Kale Salad
adapted oh so minutely from Cookie + kate

1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves chopped into small pieces
1/2 lb strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled

for the Nutty Granola (this makes much more than necessary for the salad - you could absolutely halve the recipe - or save the rest to use on top of yogurt or more salad!):
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup shelled pistachios (or you could use walnuts or pecans)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp agave nectar (or honey)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all of the nuts, seeds, salt, and cayenne together.  (The recipe also called for 1 Tbsp of fennel seeds, but I am not crazy about fennel, so I omitted it altogether.)  Add the egg, olive oil, and agave (or honey) and combine.  Spread onto a lined baking sheet in a single layer and cook for 16 to 18 minutes, stirring once halfway through.  Set aside to cool.


for the dressing (I used about half on the salad):
3 Tbsp olive oil
juice from 1 small lemon (about 2 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

Place the chopped kale in a bowl.  Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt onto the kale with a tsp of olive oil and massage for a bit to tenderize the leaves.  Top with about half the dressing (reserve the rest in case you'd like extra - as my husband did!)  and toss thoroughly.  Top with the strawberries, goat cheese, and nutty granola topping (I threw in two big handfuls.)

Feed Shark

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete