Search This Blog

Monday, July 13, 2015

Tropical Kale Salad


I don't even care that this didn't photograph very well (you can't see all the pretty wonderful ingredients after I tossed it all together...wah.).  But it is one of the best salads I have ever had and in my opinion it is one of the best ways I have eaten kale and so I just had to share it immediately.  My friend Bonnie made this salad for a barbecue and I immediately new I'd be making it in the future - and so I have...twice already since I've been getting a weekly supply of kale from the CSA.  If you like mango, coconut, avocado, and macadamia nuts, then you will love this salad.  The kale is sturdy and holds up well to the other sturdy ingredients.  Also, a light and extremely easy dressing makes this easy, healthy, and just perfect.  I really love this salad if you couldn't tell.  It smells and tastes like a tropical island to me and so it feels perfect for summer.  I hope you love it as much as I do.

Tropical Kale Salad
adapted from Lee Newlin

1 bunch kale (called for Lacinato but I use Red Russian - worked absolutely fine), torn into pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, toasted
1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 avocado, also peeled, pitted, and diced

In a large bowl, place your kale.  Add the olive oil and orange juice and massage into the kale leaves (feel free to laugh at the idea of "massaging" your kale, it sounds silly, but it's supposed to tenderize the kale as well as incorporate the dressing into the salad.)  Add all of the remaining ingredients and toss carefully so that the avocado does not end up mashed.  Enjoy!




Feed Shark

No comments:

Post a Comment