Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2015

Baked Chipotle Lime Rice

There are so many ways to cook rice.  My favorite is an actual rice cooker.  If you find the right one, you will get perfect rice every time.  Unfortunately our perfect one broke about eight years ago.  In our quest to find another perfect rice cooker, I have spent time a lot of time with numerous less than perfect versions - some cheap, some expensive.  So much so that I have begun to bake rice in the oven.  It doesn't come out quite the same, but it does come out very delicious.  It lacks the stickiness that I love from perfectly cooked rice cooker rice - the kind you get from Chinese take out.  However, this method is quick and easy and it does taste very good.  I am sharing this recipe below that I discovered from just throwing in different ingredients that I was already working with for the main course.  It came out transcendentally good (if that's possible which I believe it is.)  Consider throwing in the ingredients listed, or try out your own combination of ingredients, or just bake the rice plain - also lovely.  I got the cooking method from Ted Allen - as in one of the former Queer Eye guys or the guy who can currently be found on every other food show airing on television.  So thanks to Ted Allen I now have a go to side dish for pretty much anything.

*He says you can follow the same exact recipe using brown rice only you would cook it for 1 hour instead of 18 minutes.  I have yet to try this out with brown rice because it is just so beautifully fragrant when using basmati - I can't help but keep reaching for basmati when I begin - but I find it surprising that if you use brown, you wouldn't need any extra liquid.  Please share your results if you do try it out!

Also, I failed to get a picture of my amazing tomatillo salsa tonight (CSA tomatillos are amazing!) - sometimes I'm too too hungry and a girl's just gotta eat.  I was able to get a picture of what was left of the rice (not much by the way) after dinner was done.  Hopefully I can share the tomatillo salsa some other time soon.  Until then, enjoy this recipe at least...

Baked Chipotle Lime Rice

1-1/2 cups of long grain white rice*
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 tsp finely minced canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce
1 tsp lime zest
1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Set an oven proof baking dish with a tight fitting lid on the stove and add your water and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Then add the olive oil, salt, and cumin.  Add the rice and stir.  Cover and place in the oven for 18 minutes.  Remove and let rest for a few minutes.  Then uncover and add the remaining ingredients.  Stir until everything is incorporated nicely and serve hot.

Feed Shark

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete