Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Miso Glazed Eggplant












I've been getting a lot of eggplant in the CSA, and since I am not one to make the same things over and over again, there has been a number of eggplant experiments this summer.  Very unfortunately, no one was a fan of eggplant caponata recipe I tried out (thanks, but no thanks, Giada.)  The stir fry was delicious, but not the most interesting or photograph friendly.  Then after two weeks of letting the eggplants accrue patiently in my fridge, I finally decided to try out this side dish.  This is my new favorite way to eat eggplant (assuming of course I ignore what will always be my favorite way to eat eggplant without actually knowing you are eating eggplant: see said Roasted Eggplant Pasta here.)  Eggplants have a weird and off putting texture if you don't cook them correctly.  This recipe has them baked until they are nothing but mushy and sweet slices of awesomeness, coated with a salty and umami miso glaze, and you have yourself the kind of side dish you just can't stop eating.  If you are like me and aren't the biggest fan of miso soup, don't let that stop you from using miso in a recipe.  It takes on an entirely different savoriness (that's the umami I referred to earlier) when you cook with it.  Also, white miso is the mildest of all the misos and it has almost a sweet flavor, without being sweet.  If you want to add some sweetness to this dish, I bet it would work really well.  I thought to add a teaspoon or two of brown sugar to the glaze although the recipe really didn't call for it, but in the name of letting go of added sugar, I didn't do it - a surprising move on my part - but if I can do without added sugar, I will.  Luckily, this had no need for the extra sugar to be a satisfying and delicious dish.  I paired it with some marinated pork chops and sesame soba noodles.  It was a memorable dinner.  If you try it out, I hope you enjoy it!

Miso Glazed Eggplant
recipe from Bon Appetit

6 Japanese eggplants (the long skinny ones), cut diagonally in 1-inch slices
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup white miso
4 tsp finely grated ginger
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 tsp sesame seeds, divided
3 Tbsp thinly sliced scallions, divided

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Place eggplant on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush both sides with the canola oil.  Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until tender, flipping halfway through.  While they cook, mix the miso with the next five ingredients as well as half the sesame seeds and scallions.  Remove the eggplant from the oven and turn the oven to broil.  Brush the eggplant slices with the miso mixture and return to the oven to broil for about 4 or 5 minutes.



http://somethingyummythiswaycomes.blogspot.com/2015/08/miso-glazed-eggplant.html

No comments:

Post a Comment