Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa


I was just spending a very relaxing Sunday not doing a whole lot of anything and I came to the realization that I had a bag of tomatillos, a jalapeno, and some cilantro in the fridge.  What's a girl to do?  Prepare yourself for the best salsa recipe ever.  Strong words, I know, but my husband Jim said so - and he is quite the connoisseur when it comes to all things salsa and hot sauce related (which is putting it mildly - pun absolutely intended.)  The salsa king has spoken - now I need to watch him so that he doesn't finish it all by himself in ten minutes.  I would like to have it for some company we're having over tomorrow.  If I don't keep my eye on him, he will in fact finish the entire jar I made.  He doesn't even need chips - just a spoon if even that.  He's sneaky too.  He will take a little at a time, every time he finds himself alone in the kitchen, and before you know it, the entire jar is gone.   I know I sound a little like the salsa police, but the quantities listed below did not produce a hell of a lot of salsa.  It's just the right amount to put out with a bowl of tortilla chips as an app for guests or to serve along side some tacos (chicken or pork would be amazing with this salsa...yes yes).  This is not the right amount for Jim to indulge in eating with a spoon out of the mason jar before I want to serve it to others.  I would have doubled the recipe if I had more tomatillos because this is crazy yummy and the salsa monster is lurking.

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
recipe from Rick Bayless

1/2 lb tomatillos, husked and washed
1 jalapeno, stemmed
6 sprigs of cilantro, thick stems removed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup minced sweet onion

Preheat your broiler on high.  Place the tomatillos and jalapeno on a lined baking sheet and place in the oven about 4 inches from the heating element for about 5 minutes.  Then flip everything over and broil for another 4 or 5 minutes until nicely charred.  Remove and place in a food processor along with any juice that may be on the baking sheet.  Add the cilantro and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency (I like it slightly chunky.)  Add the salt and onion and combine.




Index Blog Website Fast

No comments:

Post a Comment