Search This Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Spicy Stir Fried Long Beans



My husband was so nice to give me the biggest cold for my birthday.  Really. So. Very. Sweet.  It's what I always wanted.  So I am laying in bed this morning, while he is at soccer with Adrienne, cup of tea  on one side of me, purring (or should I say snoring) cat on the other, and I figure I should blog one of the many recipes I have cooked and photographed, but have yet to write about.

I've cooked a lot of amazing stuff with the CSA loot.  The variety and quality of the produce has been awesome.  I don't think I would have ever bought dragon beans or long beans myself, so it's just been really fun to try new things.  Not all of my attempts have been the best - I absolutely destroyed the beautiful leeks I was given.  To follow a recipe by the book that someone publishes and have it end up in the garbage is quite annoying.  I apologize if I have ever done that to anyone, but the lesson learned is that it's about trusting your own instincts.  We don't all like things the same way and not all produce is created equal, so if you think you should be using more or less of an ingredient, believe me when I say you should trust yourself.  My potatoes must have been much bigger than necessary, but by the time I knew for sure, it was too late to save it.   I hope the toilet bowl likes potato leek soup.

This is a recipe that will be easy for anyone to doctor or save if we end up not having the same taste and you think it's too salty or spicy or needs more of something.  Feel free to go crazy with this one.  It's flexible...like my personality.  I started with an epicurious recipe, but changed it to suit my own tastes.  I think scallions are a much better choice than shallots for this.  It also needed a touch of sweetness, so I included honey.  I have made this dish twice already because it is so easy, quick and delicious.  It's a great compliment to any noodle dish or stir fry you make.  It doesn't require much chopping, prep, or time, and most importantly, it's really tasty.  This is one of the easiest dishes to throw together.   Blanch your beans before hand and you have practically no more work ahead of you.  Enjoy!

Spicy Stir Fried Long Beans
adapted from epicurious

1 bunch of long beans (about 1 lb)
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
1 Tbsp peanut oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 Tbsp reduced sodium say sauce
1 tsp honey
3 red Thai chili peppers, minced
a squeeze of lime (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cook the beans for 3 minutes and remove them to an ice bath immediately to stop them from cooking.  Long beans can get mushy if overcooked.  Once cooled, trim the ends off the beans and chop them into inch-long pieces.  Place the peanuts in a small food processor or chopper and pulse until about half are ground small.  There should still be large pieces.  Don't over grind - you don't want peanut butter.  Combine the soy sauce, honey, and chili peppers in a small bowl.  Once the ingredients have been prepped, heat the peanut oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.  Add the garlic and scallions and saute for about a minute.  Then add the peanuts and stir together for another minute.  Add the beans and combine until hot.  Remove from the heat and add the sauce.  Squeeze in the lime juice if you are using it and stir until well combined.  Serve with noodles or rice. Index blog website fast

No comments:

Post a Comment