Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2016

Butternut Squash Ravioli




It's been a very long time since I've posted, but I've been finding it very difficult this winter to balance the every day happenings of life.  I haven't been cooking adventurously, instead making a lot of good old standbys or just throwing things together quickly.  Of course, the fast fading daylight of the winter is definitely the most difficult hurdle for me to successfully take pretty pictures.

I made this dish for my friends over the weekend and it was pertinent that I blog.  It was too good not to share.  We decided on a squash night, and as usual, we killed it.  All of the dishes were amazing. I want to make them all to have again.  When I do, I promise to share them.  For now, here's what I made.  I got the filling recipe from Emeril (although I added the smallest touch of brown sugar to add some sweetness - feel free to omit it if you don't want that), but the pasta dough is Jim's grandmother's recipe.  I topped them with some browned butter, sage, walnuts, and cranberries, but if I ever make these again, I think I'll go bigger - maybe a light cream sauce perhaps?  If you ever have the time to invest in making your own ravioli, I highly recommend it.  It's fun, and so much better than the frozen stuff.  Get to it.


Butternut Squash Ravioli
makes about 30 ravioli

For the pasta dough:
4 cups all-purpose flour
6 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp of water (if needed)

For the filling:
1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced into 1-inch chunks
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 large shallot, minced
6 Tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
6 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Toss the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to your liking.  Roast on a lined baking sheet for 30 minutes, tossing once halfway through the cooking time.  Remove to a bowl and mash or puree in a food processor.  You definitely want the puree to be smooth regardless of how you get there.  In a large pan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat.  Add the shallot and sautee until translucent, about 2 or 3 minutes.  Add the squash puree and cook about 2 or 3 minutes longer until it is dry.  Then add the heavy cream, brown sugar (if using) and parmesan and cook for another minute until everything incorporated.  Now taste your filling...isn't it amazing???  Remove it to a bowl and place it in the refrigerator to cool before you eat it all.

Now prepare your dough...

Put the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse a few times to incorporate.  Add the eggs and run the processor until the dough begins to form and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Add a tablespoon of water at a time only if it looks dry or gritty.  Dump out onto a floured work surface and form into a thick circle.  Cover with a towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.  You can also cover it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge.  Once well rested, cut strips of dough a little at a time.  Feel free to use a pasta maker, but I roll the dough out into strips by hand.  Make sure you get it very thin.  Make sure the filling has cooled, and place about 2 teaspoons worth of the filling about 2 inches apart on the dough for each raviloi.  Fold the dough over and press down around the filling.  Cut the ravioli apart and seal by pinching the dough together all the way around.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Place completed ravioli aside on a towel lined baking sheet.

Now boil some water...

Cook ravioli in boiling water for about 3 minutes.  Top with butter melted with sage, walnuts, and dried cranberries, and of course, more grated parmesan.






No comments:

Post a Comment